2017-06-22

A mini app!

Yesterday a consultant called me “Hey Lars I’m building a new app feeding a new financial app with master data from SAP. They need the the data in tab separated files exported to a windows share. Do you have standard functions for that in the Data Warehouse or do I have to code that myself?”
“Funny you mention this, I created a similar app  the day before yesterday.”
“First the tab separation.    
You do this by adding a delimiter to the sqlconverter_CSV.php”:
“Next export to a Windows share. The Data warehouse supports the CIFS file system, just do a CIFS mount and copy the data to the windows share.”
“Okay” the consultant replied.
Later at the the end of the day on my way home I passed the consultant. I asked the consultant if he had any more problems. “No I’m done. Six feeds from SAP exported to this new application, tested and put into a daily production schedule ”:
“And a button on an Excel sheet, so the finance manager can fire off the export at will..”
“Why in Excel” I asked
“Why not” the consultant replied.
“It looks you made a nice little mini app today.”
The consultant looked at me and said “Miniapp?!? Do you realise how long time this would have taken any other place?”
“Yes I know” I replied, “but here it’s a nice miniapp”.

Actually it was a hell of a job done by the consultant, no matter where.

No comments:

Post a Comment